Former Deputy Governor of Osun State, Senator Iyiola Omisore has emerged as the National Secretary of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) at the party’s National Convention held at the Eagles Square on Saturday into Sunday morning.
According to a reliable source who disclosed to our correspondent, he said it was not an easy ride for Omisore who had former Minister of Communication, Adebayo Shittu from Oyo State and Akindele from Ondo States to contend with.
It took the founding fathers like former Governor of Ogun State, Chief Olusegun Osoba and other leaders to prevail on Shittu and other contenders to step down for the former Senator. This was despite the consensus arrangements that favoured Omisore as the National Secretary of APC.
The list of aspirants who finally emerged winners to form the new EXCOs for the APC in the next four years emerged late Saturday night.
The aspirants on the list are assured of the support of the party leadership at the highest level.
They will make up the National Working Committee of the APC and will pilot its activities ahead of the 2023 general elections.
According to the list obtained by our correspondent late Saturday and signed mostly by APC Governors, a former governor of Nasarawa State, Senator Abdullahi Adamu would be the National Chairman of the party while former deputy governor of Osun State, Iyiola Omisore would serve as its national secretary.
Also on the list is Senator Abubakar Kyari (Borno State) who will serve as Deputy National Chairman (North) and Emma Eneukwu (Enugu) would be Deputy National Chairman (South).
The new NWC members include:
1. Abdullahi Adamu – National Chairman
2. Abubakar Kyari – Deputy National Chairman (North)
3. Ema Enaukwu – Deputy National Chairman (South)
4. Otunba Omisore – National Secretary
5. Festus Fuanter – Deputy National Secretary
6. Muhazu Rijau – National Vice Chairman (North Central)
7. Mustapha Salihu – National Vice Chairman (North East)
8. Salihu Lukman – National Vice Chairman (North West)
9. Ijeoma Arodiogwu – National Vice Chairman (South East)
10. Victor Giadom – National Vice Chairman (South South)
11. Isaac Kekemeke – National Vice Chairman (South West)
12. Ahmed El-Marzuk – National Legal Adviser
13. Uguru Ofoke – National Treasurer
14. Bashir Gumel – National Financial Secretary
15. Suleiman Argungun – National Organising Secretary.
Also endorsed are; Ahmed El-Marzuk, National Legal Adviser; Beta Edu, National Woman Leader; Abdulahi Israel, National Youth Leader; Tolu Bankole, Special Persons Leader; Uguru Ofoke, National Treasurer; F.N Nwosu, National Welfare Secretary; Felix Morka, National Publicity Secretary; Abubakar Maikafi, National Auditor; Bashir Gumel, National Financial Secretary; Suleiman Argungun, National Organising Secretary; Ibrahim Salawu, Deputy National Legal Adviser and Omorede Osifo, Deputy National Treasurer.
Saturday PUNCH also observed that the Deputy National positions who are non-NWC members and Zonal Officers would emerge through consensus as contained in the unity list.
Earlier on Saturday, six National Chairmanship aspirants; George Akume, Tanko Al-makura, Abdul’Aziz Yari, Sani Musa, Saliu Mustapha, and Etsu Muhammed had stepped down for Abdullahi Adamu to emerge as the consensus candidate.