Former President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday gave more insights into the theft in his Gwarimpa residence in Abuja, saying the suspects stole all movable objects in the house.
Jonathan, in a statement by his Media Aide, Ikechukwu Eze, in Abuja, noted that Nigerians were concerned about the vandalism and theft in the residence.
The aide said the enquiries by journalists and other concerned Nigerians made it necessary for the former President to make some clarifications.
He stated, “The theft was discovered last month upon which a report was duly lodged with the relevant police authorities.
“The police immediately commenced investigations which led to the arrest and detention of some suspects, six of whom were policemen, even as investigations continue.
“The house, which the former President bought from CITEC estate developers in 2004, was totally stripped bare by the thieves who stole every movable item in the house including furniture sets, beds, electronics, toilet and electrical fittings, as well as all internal doors and frames.”
He stated that contrary to exaggerated reports in some media (The PUNCH not included), only six televisions, three refrigerators and one gas cooker were stolen.
“Being that the house is a modest four-bedroom duplex, it couldn’t have been fitted with “36 plasma televisions and about 25 refrigerators” as falsely reported by some media outfits,” he stated.
The PUNCH had on Tuesday reported that the police authorities had detained three policemen following the reported theft of household items at the former residence of the ex-president.
Our correspondent gathered that the policemen would soon face orderly room trial after which they would be dismissed from service for theft.
A source had said that the policemen who were guarding the residence had admitted to selling some items which they allegedly stole from the house.
It was learnt that the process of easing the men out of service for gross misconduct would soon be finalized.
“The investigation into the theft is almost concluded and it is certain that the policemen involved in the case would be eased out of the service for gross misconduct. How can they steal what they were meant to protect?,” the source stated.
The Federal Capital Police Command in a statement said it had commenced full-fledged investigation into the case, adding that preliminary investigation indicated that some items were “found to be missing in the house.”
www.sojworld.com © August 2, 2017.
Leave a Reply