Tragedy struck as 27 year old YABATECH graduate commits suicide.

Spread the love

A young graduate of Yaba College of Technology , Oluwamuyiwa Oluwagbemileke popularly known as Spartacus, an indigene of Osogbo in the State of Osun committed suicide after he could not raise N50,000 to repair the car he was said to have damaged in a Water Factory premises in Lagos.
The 27-year-old graduate of Electrical Engineering reportedly took a poison on Wednesday after he was blamed for damaging a car in a sachet water factory in Ojodu Berger, Lagos, where he worked few days to the commencement of his one year NYSC programme,

READ ALSO: Why would 16 Year Old OAU Lady Kill Herself?

Olumuyiwa damaged the car while trying to help the owner re-park the car on the factory premises. He was said to be desperate to repair the car but the money was not forthcoming.
In his Facebook wall he wrote this before he committed suicide, “When a man’s life is unstable, worried, downcast and destabilised, things he does right before will become wrong no matter the best he puts in. He loses focus and strength; he becomes unhappy and angry at everything even if he tries to wear a smiling face.
“Thoughts of death will come in the scene. He keeps asking the question, ‘why me?’ He becomes helpless and even if he’s among people, he still feels lonely. Life can be truly unfair.
“Advice: Never let your ugly situations weigh you down. When you notice things are not going well, check yourself before it makes you feel worried.”
About an hour before he took the poison, he wrote another note on his Facebook wall at 10.16pm, asking his family to look after his mother.
“Please, help me stand by my mother. She’s the reason why I have lived this far. Thank you. To my loved ones,” it read.
He was buried on Saturday at the Atan Cemetery in Yaba, Lagos.
His nickname, it was learnt, evolved from his determination to become a graduate, which made him to engage in one menial job or another to sponsor himself.

READ ALSO: Policeman Kills Senior Colleague, Commits Suicide in Kajola, Ondo State

His elder sister, who spoke with our correspondent on the telephone on Sunday, confirmed that he was reserved.
The woman, who did not want her name in print, said Oluwagbemileke had called her on the telephone on that day around 11am, saying he was in Osogbo and wanted to discuss an issue with her.
She said, “I was monitoring him on the telephone and asking when he would come.
“I was surprised when he told me that he was on his way back to Lagos. I asked him what he came to do in Osogbo and he said I should not worry. He promised to call me back when he got to Ibadan, Oyo State. When I didn’t see his call, I called him and he said he had boarded a bus en route to Lagos. I asked him what happened. He said he would call me when he got home. I called him several times, but he said he was not at home, not knowing that he was lying. After he didn’t pick my calls again, I went to bed.”
The sister said she called him about 15 times the following day, but he did not pick his calls.
She said she later learnt that he had visited Osogbo to tell their mother about the damaged car, adding that the mother promised to follow him to the factory on Thursday.
She explained that their mother was preparing food for him when he left home, noting that the hard copy of the suicide note was found in his apartment at the factory in Lagos.
The sister said, “I passed out when I was told he poisoned himself. His neighbours said they received a message from him, saying he wanted to poison himself, but they did not take him seriously. His girlfriend said he was gasping when she called him around 11pm. Our mother said he typed the suicide note on his phone in her presence but she did not know the content because she has no formal education.
“I was surprised Muyiwa (Oluwagbemileke) could not wait to be celebrated. He struggled all through, but he never waited to reap the fruits of his labour. He worked as a carrier to survive. Our father died a long time ago. He was going for NYSC on November 21. He was the only graduate in our family.
“When I went to the factory, I was told that a laptop had fallen from his hands and damaged three days before he damaged the car. They must have chided him, which is normal, although his boss denied it. He was collecting over N50,000 monthly at the factory and a gym there.
“While he was living with me, if he spoilt something and I scolded him, he would abscond from home for three days and sleep in schools. At times, I would know he was the one who damaged an item, but I would still ask him. Instead of him to talk, he would just walk away from home. I would beg people to talk to him before he would return home.”
Barely two weeks ago we reported the case of 16 year old undergraduate of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife who committed suicide because he failed a subject in her first year examination.
The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Olarinde Famous-Cole, confirmed the incident. © November 12, 2017

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.