in , ,

BREAKING: Onnoghen Loses Bid To Stop His Trial at Code of Conduct Tribunal

Spread the love
breaking-onnoghen-loses-bid-to-stop-his-trial-at-code-of-conduct-tribunal
breaking-onnoghen-loses-bid-to-stop-his-trial-at-code-of-conduct-tribunal

The suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen has lost its bid to stop the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) from continuing with his trial.

The court in a ruling on Wednesday said the request brought by Mr Onnoghen “was brought in a vacuum,” without a proper backing of legal provisions why it should have been granted.

READ ALSO:   Asiwaju Tinubu Reacts to Atiku’s Stand on CJN Onnoghen

According to the appellate court, Mr Onnoghen’s lawyers had argued that their application was brought because the tribunal, on January 14 refused to entertain their request challenging the jurisdiction of the court with other motions before proceeding with the main trial.

The court, however, read through the words used during the January 14 adjournment of the tribunal wherein the CCT slated January 22 for hearing of motions in the matter.

“Matter is hereby adjourned till Tuesday. Motions to be taken,” said Justice Abdul Aboki while reading through the tribunal’s ruling on January 14.

READ ALSO:   Onnoghen: PDP Fires Asiwaju Tinubu over verbal Attack on Atiku Abubakar

“The above-stated decision is an adjournment for motions filed by the two parties,” the appeal court ruled.

According to the appellate court, the words used by the tribunal did not suggest the submissions made by the applicant. The court questioned the likelihood of its jurisdiction to grant such order as requested, given the evidence before it.

“A court has inherent jurisdiction to grant stay of proceedings where it is certified that enough evidence has been given for such,” said Mr Aboki who read the ruling with two other judges.

“Order for stay cannot be made in vacuum. It is a matter of law and fact,” the court ruled.

READ ALSO:   PITY! ex-Fi, therefore,k Staff To Go to Jail For Sending Threat Messages to Bank’s MD/CEO – FULL DETAILS WORTH READING

The court therefore decided that the application for stay of proceedings will not be granted and subsequently refused it.

The ruling implies that the CCT can now proceed with the trial of the chief justice for alleged false asset declaration. The CCT had postponed the trial based on last week’s directive of the appeal court.

 

 

www.sojworld.com (c) January 30, 2019

Written by sojworldwide

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Onnoghen: PDP Fires Asiwaju Tinubu over verbal Attack on Atiku Abubakar

Afenifere Endorses President Buhari for a Second Term