THERE was security alert on Tuesday as the Nigerian Security Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC) alerted the nation of planned massive attacks by the ISWAP and Boko Haram on nine states in Nigeria including, Lagos, FCT, Katsina, Kogi Lagos, Kaduna, Kogi, Katsina and Zamfara states.
Earlier on Tuesday, there was a leaked memo from the headquarters of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, which alerted state commands to the planned attacks.
The NSCDC spokesman, Shola Odumosu, when contacted said the memo did not originate from the security agencies.
However, a State Commandant, who confirmed the memo, said security officials had been directed to keep mum over it in order not to cause panic.
The commandant, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said,
‘’Yes, it is true that they (headquarters) issued a security alert to us that we should be careful and we should instruct our men to be watchful. We protect the critical infrastructure and places of worship.
“It is also important that we inform the people so they can be vigilant.”
Following the alert, security was on Tuesday beefed up in Abuja to forestall a possible attack by ISWAP and Boko Haram.
On Sunday, the elite Presidential Guards Brigade was attacked by gunmen along the Bwari-Kubwa road where a captain, lieutenant and six soldiers reportedly lost their lives.
To foil the planned attack by ISWAP, the Nigeria Army and the Nigeria Police Force on Tuesday deployed troops and policemen in strategic locations across the FCT.
The operatives were observed in Bwari, which is hosting a campus of the Nigeria Law School; Apo Mechanic, Lugbe, Living Faith area, Goshen, Keffi-Abuja Expressway while day and night patrol has been intensified.
Speaking to newsmen on Tuesday, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Muyiwa Adejobi, said the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, had ordered the deployment of police personnel and assets to strategic parts of the FCT.
He explained that the IG has also ordered the Force Intelligence Bureau to gather intelligence in a move to thwart the planned attack.
Adejobi said, “We are not leaving any stone unturned to fortify the Federal Capital Territory and its environs. The IGP has ordered the additional deployment of assets to strategic areas of the FCT while the Force Intelligence Bureau has been charged to gather robust Intelligence.”
The Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, Guards Brigade, Capt Godfrey Abakpa, also confirmed the deployment of troops across the FCT, adding that it was part of measures to frustrate any planned attack on the seat of power.
He said, ‘’Yesterday (Monday), the Federal Government asked all schools to shut down in Abuja in response to the security threat received by them. As the elite brigade in the FCT, it is our duty to ensure that there is law and order. Everything being done now is a precautionary measure to guard against any security threat or unforeseen circumstances. ‘’
Similarly, the FCT NSCDC Command Spokesperson, Comfort Okomaniyi said the Corps had posted its personnel to strategic locations.
She added that the female squad had equally been deployed across schools in the FCT.
Okomaniyi stated, ‘’A deployment was made on Monday that would last till Thursday. The FCT Command deployed both armed and unarmed personnel to strategic places to monitor the security of the FCT, especially schools.
“Even after the deployment, principal officers in operation as directed by the Commandant went round on surveillance. The female squad is in charge of the schools; if more are needed they would be deployed there. We are urging parents to be calm, we are doing our best to ensure security in schools.’’
The NSCDC leaked memo indicated that Boko Haram and ISWAP terrorists were amassing dangerous weapons for massive attacks on Katsina, Lagos, FCT, Kaduna, and Zamfara states.
The criminals were reported to have acquired high-calibre weapons, including Anti-aircraft guns, General Purpose Machine Guns, among others, in preparation for an attack on Katsina State.
The intelligence report titled, ‘Re: Heightened plots by terrorists to stage coordinated attacks in parts of the country,’ was signed by the Deputy Commandant-General in charge of Operations, DD Mungadi.
It added that the Commandant-General had directed the State Commandants to put up measures to avert the attacks.
The report dated July 25, 2022 and addressed to all NSCDC State Commands, was sighted by one of our correspondents on Tuesday.
It read, “We have received credible intelligence that Boko-Haram and the ISWAP terrorist groups have mobilised fighters and high-calibre weapons, particularly Rocket-Propelled Grenade Launchers, Anti-Aircraft guns and General Purpose Machine Guns which they intend to deploy for the offensive in Katsina State.’’
“In another development, two separate bandits groups are plotting coordinated attacks on North-West, North-Central and South-West (Katsina, Zamfara, Kaduna, Kogi, FCT and Lagos), respectively. Consequently, the Commandant-General has directed you scale up deployment in all strategic places, including schools, worship centres and critical national assets in your respective states to checkmate any possible threats by these criminal elements. Please treat as urgent,” the report added.
The NSCDC Spokesman, Odumosu, however denied that the report was from the corps.
Editor’s Note: Contact SOJ WORLDWIDE ONLINE NEWS (www.sojworldnews.com) for your wedding ceremony, birthday, conference, Exclusive interviews, placing of advert banner, publicity and awareness on 09069473894.
KINDLY send your name and location to our WhatsApp No. 09069473894.to receive our news updates directly into your WhatsApp box.