SOJ WORLDWIDE ONLINE NEWS http://www.sojworldnews.com raised alarm yesterday over unspecified numbers of Youth Corps who were stranded in a bush path along the highway taken over by flood in Kebbi.
READ ALSO: DANGEROUS RISK! See how Afghans cling to a moving US Aircraft to escape from Taliban terror (THIS MUST NOT HAPPEN IN NIGERIA! – ;SEE VIDEO)
We have it on good authority that the alternate route is now clear and most of the Corps members have reached their destinations to join with their family members.
Full text of our report on Monday, August 16, 2021:
Unspecified numbers of Youth Corps coming from Kebbi and others states up North are currently stranded at a bush path on their way to the Southwest after the end of their Orientation today as a result of overwhelming flood on the highway.
One of the Corpers who told SOJ WORLDWIDE reporter on condition of anonymity said they left their Orientation Camp today having concluded the three weeks stipulated period.
She said, on their way to the Southwest, they could not take their normal route as a result of the collapsed bridge in Jigawa last week.
Their vehicles took alternative route that was not motorable but got stranded on a bush path as a result of flood that made all vehicles to be on a standstill in Kebbi State.
As at the time of this publication the Corpers are still there in the fear of the unknown considering the security situation in the North.
The link bridge that killed 21 persons including 11 disqualified military recruitment applicants few days ago has become a nightmare for those travelling to and from up North especially Corps Members who concluded their Orientation yesterday.
PREMIUM TIMES reported on Sunday that at least 21 persons, including 11 disqualified military recruitment applicants, died on Sunday after a bridge collapsed in Gwaram Local Government Area of Jigawa State.
Residents said the bridge collapsed under a heavy flood.
The Chairperson, Jigawa Civil Society Forum, Musbahu Basirka, told PREMIUM TIMES that the victims were travelling in a Hummer Commuter bus from Kano to Adamawa State when the incident happened.
Mr Basirka said the bridge on the Gwaram-Basirka Road collapsed and killed the 21 persons, including a teenage girl ,but one of the recruits survived with a leg fracture.
PREMIUM TIMES had reported on August 6 how the Jigawa State Government announced a diversion of traffic from the highway linking the State and Kano with North-east Nigeria over concerns over the state of another major bridge following heavy downpours.
The State Government had urged commuters to use alternative routes to allow work on the bridge.
However, the bridge marked for the work was not the one affected in the Sunday collapse.
The Police Spokesperson in Jigawa, Lawan Adam, said the police responded to a distress call following the incident.
“It involved One Hummer bus with reg no. FYK 406 ZA Gombe State conveying 18 passengers from Kano State to Adamawa State and a Canter lorry with Reg Number. not found, conveying 3 passengers destination not known yet, fell into broken culvert full of water.
“Victims were evacuated to Basirka Hospital. 21 passengers have been confirmed dead by Medical Doctor while one Simon Chinapi ‘M’aged 26 yrs of Mubi Adamawa State survived the accident.
“Commissioner of Police Jigawa State Police Command, CP Aliyu S Tafida, psc in company of Assistant Commissioner, Operations, DPO, Gwaram and other officers have visited the scene and directed prompt and discrete investigation into the incident,” the police spokesperson said.
Join SOJ WORLDWIDE ONLINE NEWS anywhere you are across the globe on WHATSAPP BROADCAST LIST for our latest news updates with this number: 09069473894.
Engage us to create awareness and publicity and also to promote your products and services including your political aspirations no matter your political affiliations at minimal charges.
We have our presence in Opera.com, Nairaland, Phoenix Browser and we are Google approved.
SOJ WORLDWIDE…ONLINE NEWS with a difference.