
Ambassador cruise passenger missing Dundee, SOJWORLDNEWS
Ambassador cruise passenger missing Dundee — A major search-and-rescue operation is underway after a passenger went missing aboard the Ambassador Ambition cruise ship. The alarm was raised on Friday morning as the vessel travelled from Lerwick to Dundee. Consequently, coastguard teams, police, and volunteer lifeboat crews scrambled to locate the missing man, who is feared to have fallen overboard.
According to reports, the emergency was first flagged to HM Coastguard at around 8:35am. At that point, the ship sat roughly 36 nautical miles east of Arbroath in the North Sea. Shortly afterward, Police Scotland received a separate report confirming that a man had gone overboard. A Police Scotland spokesperson explained,
“A search and rescue operation is currently being carried out by HM Coastguard.”
The spokesperson added that his next of kin had since been informed.
Meanwhile, an extensive multi-agency response quickly took shape. A coastguard helicopter and fixed-wing aircraft joined the search, alongside RNLI lifeboats launched from Anstruther and Broughty Ferry. In addition, coastguard rescue teams from Dundee, Arbroath, and St Andrews mobilised to assist. A commercial search-and-rescue helicopter and several nearby vessels also joined the effort, reflecting the scale of the operation underway across the North Sea.
As the search continued, the Ambition proceeded to dock in Dundee, where crew members carried out a thorough search of the ship itself. More than 1,000 passengers and crew remained temporarily confined to designated lounges while that internal search took place. Only after completing the ship-wide check were passengers finally cleared to disembark.
Furthermore, the Port of Dundee confirmed awareness of the unfolding situation shortly after the vessel arrived. A spokesperson for the port stated,
“We have been informed of an issue on board the Ambition cruise ship.”
They added that the port remained in close contact with both the ship and its owner as events developed.
Ambassador Cruise Line, for its part, moved to reassure passengers throughout the incident. A company spokesperson said the cruise line follows strict international safety protocols whenever such emergencies arise. As they put it,
“Ambassador follows stringent search-and-rescue protocols in line with international maritime safety standards.”
The spokesperson further confirmed that the company continues working closely with the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, and Police Scotland as the investigation proceeds.
Notably, the missing passenger reportedly boarded the ship at Lerwick on Wednesday evening, joining for the final leg of a 13-night solar-eclipse cruise. That voyage had already taken guests through Iceland, the Faroe Islands, and Shetland before the scheduled return to Dundee. As a result, the incident disrupted what should have been a routine turnaround, since the Ambition had been due to depart for Newcastle upon Tyne later that same evening.
Eyewitnesses at the scene described a tense atmosphere as the search unfolded. One local witness said an alarm sounded after the person went missing, apparently around 50 miles off the Dundee coast. The ship, notably, continued heading toward port even as the alert triggered the wider search operation offshore.
For now, authorities have not confirmed the missing passenger’s identity, nor have they announced any update on his condition. Consequently, search teams are expected to continue combing the surrounding waters in the hours ahead. Sojworldnews will provide further updates as soon as coastguard and police officials release additional information.

Leave a Reply